Sunday, November 10, 2013

Betty Crocker's old timey bread

As of late, memories have become pretty important to me.  When the leaves have fallen and the slight chill of Fall has come to stay, one of the many memories that always comes to mind is that of my mom putting together homemade, white bread.  It was always almost magical to watch her add the yeast to the warm water, to be followed by salt, sugar and flour.  She would mix and knead and form it into the magical dough ball.  Then she would cover it and set it in front of the ol' wood stove and to rise. Then...the magic began. It would grow twice its size and all I wanted to do was at least touch it.  But I couldn't.  I wouldn't dare!  But that was my mom's job.  She would punch it down and let it rise. Just. One. More. Time.  Then my mom would put the dough into the oven and the dough began to transform into bread and the smell...OH the smell, was heavenly.  And the taste of warm bread with melted butter...almost sinful.

Anyway, when it gets cold outside, I think about bread.  THE bread.  This time, I couldn't just think of the bread.  I had to make it.  I found the recipe in a revised, yet still vintage, Betty Crocker cookbook.


 Some of my grandmother's best recipes have come from cookbooks of this vintage, so I couldn't pass it up.  If you're interested in trying it out, here's a link to the recipe I found: http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/gold-medal-classic-white-bread/20967ff8-467c-4445-99b4-b3a97a554dd2.

It made a pretty delightful smelling and tasting bread.  Try it out!  I think you'll be happy you did!  I am...








No comments: