|Everybody, meet my new cake stand. Cake stand, everybody (thanks Mom!!!)|
( Makes 16)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp. plus more for tins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for tins
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 4 large eggs, separated and at room temp.
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup strawberry jam or preserves
- Citrus Glaze (made with orange juice and zest)
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F. Brush standard muffin tins with butter and dust with flour, tapping out the excess ( do not try to use liners as they will stick)Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter, sugar and zest until pale and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated,scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of milk, and beating until just combined after each.
- In another bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, whisk egg whites to soft peaks; gently fold into batter. Spoon 2 tbsp batter into each prepared cup. Make an indentation in the middle of each; fill with 1 tbsp jam. Top with additional 2 tablespoons batter, covering jam completely.
- Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until cake tester inserted in centers of top layers comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven. Run a small offset spatula around the edges and turn out cakes onto wire racks and let cool completely.
- To finish, drizzle cakes evenly with the glaze, let set around 30 minutes. Glazed cupcakes can be stored up to 2 days in a single layer at room temp. in airtight containers.
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted, plus more if needed
- 1/4 tsp finely grated citrus zest
- 3 tbsp fresh citrus juice, plus more if needed
Whisk together all ingredients until smooth. If necessary add more sugar to thicken or more juice to thin the glaze. Use immediately.