Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Gettin' my craft on!

Not much to report here, as I have been sick the ENTIRE MONTH! What is that all about? I had a few days here and there where I thought I was getting better, only to get worse in a couple days. So I did A LOT of lying around and catching up on past series of TV shows of years past on Netflix. I had no oomph and no desire to do anything at all.

But finally, FINALLY, it is over now. And I just bored myself to tears (probably because I didn't blink for like, a solid minute) while I wrote the last paragraph! So I'll cut it short by reporting that I have felt much better the past two days and even embarked on a crafty project or two! My first craft project? An antique-style gumball machine makeover. 
First, a little history on why I chose a gumball machine. One day I was wasting an afternoon on Pinterest (surprise!!) and stumbled upon this picture of a gumball machine that had been painted white instead of the traditional red.  It even had white jelly beans inside.

How cute!!  It was love at first sight!  I knew I had to find a gumball machine to make mine so that I would have a constant supply of snacks as I crafted!! I don't ask for much, do I?  So I started to search. First I searched Ebay and the likes, but it was difficult to find one under $50.  I really didn't want to pay that since I knew the lady from the blog (mentioned above and where I got the idea) had only paid $25 for hers.  There was also the fact that I was going to take it apart to repaint it anyway.  So my search continued.  Then, earlier this year I spotted one for sale on a neighboring town's Cragslist a co-worker snagged for me for....TADAH!.... only $25!!

The top portion was in pretty good shape, but the base and feet were a little dinged up. So I took it apart, cleaned it and painted it. I liked the idea of painting the entire machine white, but chose to stick with the original black base and feet for more contrast and flexibility of where the ol' gumball machine could be placed.  Right now, I'm planning on putting it in my craft room, but who knows where it will end up!



 And.... Here is my version:


Also on Pinterest, I saw the idea of putting Jelly Belly's or pistachios instead of gumballs (which I don't really like anyway...). I'm so excited to actually start AND finish a craft project! It has been too long!

Next up for craft projects? Earrings.....

No comments: