Makes 24 cupcakes (one for you 23 for me)
- 1 package (about 18 oz) white cake mix
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp margarita mix, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp grated lime peel, divided
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp tequila or lime juice
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp sparkling or granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp salt (optional)
- green food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 standard (2 1/2 inch) muffin cups with paper baking cups.
- Combine cake mix, 3/4 cup margarita mix, eggs, oil, water, 1 tsp lime peel and lime juice in a large bowl. Whisk 2 minutes or until well blended. Spoon batter evenly into prepared cups.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean. Remove cupcakes to wire racks and allow to cool completely before frosting.