Monday, October 8, 2012

Ding, dong...zucchini

Hello? Are you still out there?  I guess I should warn you before I take a leave of absence, hmm?
Well, I'm back with a few (mind you, only a few...) ideas for the blog in me head.
So..........................Today's topic is zucchini.
Word on the street is that this time of year, most people who've planted zucchini end up having more than they know what to do with.  So much so, that they search high and low for anyone (anyone?!) who would take it off their hands. I've heard of some people actually ringing a doorbell, droppin' zucchini like it's hot on the doorstep and high-tailing it out of there before anyone can protest.  A woman down our street just placed a literal mound of zucchinis in her driveway with a free sign.
Me? I got some from my grandma's neighbor and my next door neighbor.
But I asked for it.
Great right? Just saute it with some garlic and olive oil and voila!?
Been there, done that many-a-time.  But you can only do that so much.
Plus, Aaron doesn't even like it (he gave it a valiant effort) and so I was the one stuck with too many zucchini. 
I thought about making zucchini bread.  But then a thought came about: "what about cookies?"
So an internet search was done and I found some tasty sounding cookies and gave them a try!
They were a crowd pleaser, let me tell you. Here's the recipe (sadly I wrote it down and forgot where I got it from) if you'd like to give it a try.

Chocolate Oatmeal Zucchini cookies
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1egg
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup oats
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 325.   Line or grease a cookie sheet.  Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.  Stir in the egg and vanilla.  Mix well.  Stir in the shredded zucchini.  In a separate bowl, sift the dry ingredients together.  Stir in the dry ingredients, then the oats and then the chocolate chips. Bake for 11 minutes (mine had to go for closer to 14 min.)  Enjoy!

No comments: