Saturday, December 8, 2012

Cleanin' house

Time spent at my grandparent's house was often like a treasure hunt.
Allow me to explain:
 I don't know that I was ever really told to hold on to every rubber band, well-constructed box or magazine, but somewhere and somehow (maybe through the process of osmosis), I learned that it was a pretty good idea.
When asked if I want to hold on to something, the ol' motto: "You never know when you'll need it," is the first thing to pop into my mind.
Truth be told, I come from a long line of hoarders.
You see, my Grandpa grew up during the Great depression, then down the road, both my grandparents lived through shortages through WWII.  They learned how to use what they could and keep what they needed (everything I guess) to do so. Drawers, closets, shelves and rooms held countless prizes for a little kid and things they "might need" down the road.

A real-life junk drawer, pinterest
They then passed this legacy down through the years to my mother, then to me.
And that is why I am where I am today:
living amongst countless numbers of things I haven't used in quite some time, with less and less space in our house.
But then something changed.  I had an "Aha!" moment when we stayed with some friends in their newly built and carefully re-decorated house.  The floor plan of their house is so open and relaxing and the way they've chosen to decorate is simple yet tasteful, with no clutter.  I found myself at such ease in their house.  Then, when we came back to our house, it felt confining, cluttered and stressful. Aaron said he felt the same way.
So, we've started to go through everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) in every room in our house and get rid of it, either by selling or donating it. 

Clutter, pinterest
At first it was a little overwhelming and scary to me, as I'm afraid of getting rid of something I will deeply regret getting rid of it.  But I remind myself that these things are really just that, things, and in the end, none of it really matters too much. Because of this constant reminder, it's become easier and easier to get rid of the clutter.  As more space opens up on our shelves, in our closets and in our home in general I catch myself feeling less stressed by the clutter and wanting to get rid of more. MORE!   Now I fear I'm headed in the opposite direction and may end up with a house with absolutely no comfort.

Simplify, Pinterest
But I have a long, long way to go to get there.
I hope you notice the difference in our house the next time you stop by!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

No comments: