Saturday, December 29, 2012

Lovely liquered bread pudding

I've been a naughty little person lately.  For one, my last post was a week ago (oops). Secondly, I decided to give in to my deep craving for comfort foods via a bread pudding recipe passed down to my by my Great Aunt, K.  The original recipe was Amaretto Macadamia nut bread pudding.  However, I did not have amaretto or macadamia nuts...so I substituted (what's new, right?)
My bread pudding contained Frangelico..oh yum!  So, I'll include the original recipe with noted substitutions.

Anyway, it's easy and delicious and will most definitely add pounds to the body to stock up for hibernation.
Here goes..


Amaretto Macadamia Bread Pudding

(serves 12 to 15)

  • 1 loaf (1 pound) white French bread, danish or croissants
  • 1/2 cup diced macadamia nuts (didn't use)
  • 1/2 cup raisins (I used golden raisins....so good!)
  • 1 quart half-and-half
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup Amaretto (or Frangelico)
Sauce for bread pudding
  • 1/2 cup Amaretto liqueur (..or Frangelico)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups whipped butter

For the bread pudding: Cut bread into 1 inch cubes.  Place bread, nuts and raisins in a deep dish (8.5 x 13 inch pan is recommended). Toss until well mixed and set aside.  In a large mixing bowl, combine the half and half, sugar, eggs and liqueur and beat to blend.  Pour the mixture over the bread and let it soak in the fridge 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.  Bake the bread pudding for 1 hour or until golden brown.  Cool to room temperature and cut into 12-15 squares.
For the Sauce: Combine the liqueur and sugar in top of a double boiler over simmering water and stir to dissolve the sugar.  Remove from heat and whisk in the whipped butter.
To serve: Place squares of the bread pudding on dessert plates and spoon the sauce over the top.
Eat and repeat!

No comments: