Saturday, June 2, 2012

My sneaky little secret

I kept it quiet for long enough and am now ready to tell the world that for the past 3 weeks I've been training for a 5K.
I'm not sure why I didn't tell many people.
Afraid I couldn't do it or maybe wouldn't?
I've always wanted to try something like this but just didn't feel like I had what (in my estimation) it took to complete such an event: an amazing lung capacity, to be in uber awesome shape and sheer willpower.
It turns out I have the willpower going for me and as a result was able to run/walk a 5K today!
Isn't that neat? (that's for you Aaron)
But for realsies....it was pretty neat....beyond neat in fact.  Let's say awesome.

So for starters, I got talked into this whole thing by these two ladies (lovely Jaime and Krista) and I'm so glad I gave in to their friendly peer pressure.

For those not too familiar with 5Ks- as I was not- it is equal to 3.1 miles.
This 5K was held around a lake 1/2 an hour from where we live and contained A LOT of hills.
It was challenging physically and mentally but I managed to get through it in 45:59:75!
Did I mention this was my first 5 K ever and I'm proud of that number?!


At the end of the race, I even met up with some other friends that I had no idea were going to be there which added to the fun!

We were all pretty proud of each other and ourselves and agreed there would be more races to run from all of us!
Now if you will excuse me, I have to prop my legs up, ice my shins and get a drink!
It was a long (but rewarding) day for me.

5 comments:

Jessie said...

ooooo I'mjealous of your will power :) YAY GO YOU!

gillianbee said...

You are awesome! I'm so proud of you. :D <3

Whitney said...

Thank you both so much ladies!

Amy Lou said...

You ROCK!!! Congrats... that's pretty neat!!! :D

Whitney said...

@Amy Lou -You know it's a race by the way that it is...haha..Thanks chica!