Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Another one bites the dust

So...last week, I mentioned how I wanted to push myself outside of my comfort level.
I also mentioned that I signed up for "boot camp" at a local gym.
The class I signed up for is at 5:45 AM on Tuesdays and Thursdays, for six weeks.
Guess what? I actually followed through, got out of bed at 5:15 (unheard of) and went.  
I'd been working out for TEN WHOLE DAYS and felt pretty confident that I would do just fine ( now that I re-evaluate this idea, I realize that idea is the definition for cray-cray).
I did not do fine.
via pinterest

We started out by warming up.  It included jogging in place, then doing knee lifts while running, followed by jumping jacks.  I was breathing harder, but figured I could handle it, and I did.
Then we then went straight into our first series of fitness tests (there were seven different ones) to see what level of fitness we're at.  The idea was to complete as many reps we could within a minute, then rest for a minute in between each exercise.
Our trainer said we should push ourselves, but to be careful, because some people pushed themselves too hard and ended up puking. The rest of the class (all 5 of us) laughed a little.  I thought, "how embarrassing."
 But push it I did.
I made it through four different exercises, then things quickly went downhill.
The next exercise on the list was burpees.  In case you don't know, burpees suck.
I'm thinking of wearing this at my nest class...haha
At this point, I was huffing and puffing.  Then my vision started to blur and my ears started ringing.
For me, this means something big is supposed to imminent death, or puking my guts out.  I knew burpees would send me straight to death, so I told the teacher I had to step outside. 
 Then the dry heaves came.
(yes this is all true.)
I stood outside while the rest of the class made it through the beloved burpees.  Then dry heave #1 came.  Okay, whatever. It was a silent one.  I didn't have time to eat breakfast before the class, so no harm, no foul.  But soon afterward, the instructor came to prop open the door and tried to reassure me that not all classes would be this hard.
That's when dry heave #2 came, along with something that sounded like a Barney Gumble belch
(....again, as humiliating as it is....all true.)

Remember how I felt pity for the girl who actually puked and thought, "how embarrassing?"  Well, I was so embarrassed, but also felt like I was going to pass out, so all I could manage to say was: "Sorry, " quickly followed by, "I think I'm going to pass out."
At that point, I couldn't believe I was that out of shape and lame.  But I believe it now!!
She then told me to bend my knees and prop myself against the wall, so I did.
I managed to recover pretty well and was back inside for the next exercise, but then I decided to pace myself for the rest of the test.  
Best. Idea. Ever.
Two other girls went outside and sat down and I felt a bit better about myself.  
(after all, classes are all about comparisons, am I right?!)
But I was still the poor-dry-heave-loser of the class.
Oh well.  Things could only get better from there. And they did.  I reminded myself why I was there in the first place: to get in better shape.  So, my only option was to do the best I could and keep moving.
45 minutes later, I managed to keep up with the rest of the class and even finish it!
45 minutes later every muscle group that I never knew I had was "worked out."
 I went home flushed, sweaty, tired and sore and ready for the next class. 
 Fitness testing comes again in a couple weeks...we'll see how I do!

No comments: