Sunday, February 6, 2011

A lazy Sunday breakfast

     To me, Sundays are the new Friday.  I'm making it a "thing."  I used to have Fridays off and would either choose to stay at home in my PJ's and be lazy-sticks OR I would get dressed up in my dressed-up-casual-clothes (code: not scrubs) and head out of the house to shop and run errands.  However, that no longer applies.  Fridays have become a work day one day out of the month and a service day the rest of the month.  No longer can I sleep in and leisurely laze around.  The same applies for Saturday.  But on Sunday...well, things have changed.  We used to have morning meeting but this year we are at 1:00.  Ah!  Now on Sunday, I have the possibility of sleeping in, staying in my PJ's for a couple hours (or not) skimming through some cookbooks, making us a "good breakfast" (NOT oatmeal or cold cereal) studying for meeting, going for  a walk, hike or bike ride THEN coming home and getting all dressed up for meeting.  Then after meeting we still have a few hours of light to do whatever we want.  It's always an enjoyable day.
      I chose to tell you all of this so I could share with you another of my favorite and super easy recipes, one I made today in fact.  I get to make them on Sundays now so I thought maybe you would like to as well. The recipe today is from: The All New All purpose Joy of Cooking cookbook.  It has this to say about a Dutch Baby (no not a literal human baby).  "Sometimes called a German or puff pancake, this batter is poured into a skillet looking like a heap of scrambled eggs and emerges from the oven puffed and wondrously golden.  Serve this straight from the oven with a dusting of powdered sugar, a spoonful of the best fruit preserves you can lay your hands on, or some sliced fruit sauteed in butter and splashed with brandy or dark rum."  I couldn't have said it any better.  Behold, the Dutch Baby.



Dutch Baby
(makes one 10-inch cake, 2-4 servings)

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
Whisk together until smooth:
  • 1 /2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs, at room temp
Melt 4 tbsp of unsalted butter in a 10-in ovenproof skillet (cast iron is ideal) over medium heat.  Tilt the pan so that the butter coats the sides.  Pour the egg mixture into the skillet and cook, without stirring, for 1 minute.  Place the skillet in the oven and bake until the pancake is puffed and golden 12-15 minutes.  Serve immediately, for the pancake loses its puff, and therefore drama, almost immediately.

P.S.  That is the exact recipe from the book.  I have done a few things differently and it still worked out great.  I actually use a 9-in.  glass pie plate and melt the butter in the plate in the microwave.  I then skip the step of pouring the mix into the pan and cooking it on top the oven.  After melting the butter, I pour the mix into the pan and place it straight into the oven.  Also I prefer to use salted butter for more flavor.  FYI:  I've also made the toppings and sauces recommended and they have all been great.  The Dutch Baby can also stand alone.  If you try this out I hope you love it as much as we do!


1 comment:

Jessie said...

LOVE dutch babies! thechubbyvegetarian made one filled with macerated strawberries and sweetened ricotta... Yum!