Sunday, February 27, 2011

Cupcakes and biscuits and cards....OH MY!

     So.....I had plans to bake some new things and share it with you.  I did bake some new things.  But I won't share it with you.  Here's why:
     First of all, we had some friends over for dinner and I wanted to "go all out."  Aaron picked out a fish dish (that sounds funny..) which turned out GREAT (you know what? I will share that recipe with you) and I decided to add a green salad and some cheese biscuits that were supposed to be "just like Red Lobsters."  They were not just like Red Lobster's and I was not pleased.  Strike one.  No biscuits for you.
     Secondly, I had a Hawaiian-themed scrapbooking party to attend and thought I'd make margarita cupcakes because they went over so well the last time I made them.  Wrong again.  Wrong, wrong and wrong.  Something went terribly (you guessed it) wrong and they just didn't taste as good as the last time.  I took them to the party anyway, and some girls liked them, others did not.  I came home with extras.  Strike two!  ( On a positive note, the party was both fun AND successful in that I managed to make 5 of my own cards.  Woo to the hoo.)
   Lastly, we had plans today to go over to a friends house for lunch.  I said I would bring rolls.  Originally I planned on going to the store and purchasing some but NO, I decided to make some.  These weren't supposed to be just any old roll either.  You see, when I was in elementary school there were these rolls.  Oh such rolls!  They were yeast rolls that were as high as they were wide.  They were both dense and moist and positively delicious.  I decided to make those.  So I found a high rated recipe online and made them this morning.  I was hopeful but the outcome was poor to say the least.  They were not high or moist.  They were hard-ish, not at all high and mediocre.  I watched as some pushed them around their plates and/or did not go back for seconds for them.  It was a sad day indeed.
     Oh well!  Julia Child had mess-ups (I'm guessing she did) and she carried on!  So will I!  Here's the recipe for the delicious fishes called Grouper parmesan from Cooks.com:

2 lbs. grouper fillets or other thick whitefish fillets
1 c. sour cream
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. grated onion
1/2 tsp. salt
Dash hot sauce
Paprika
Chopped parsley

Cut skinned fish into serving size pieces. Place in a single layer in a well greased baking dish (12 x 8 x 2 inches). Combine remaining ingredients except paprika and parsley. Spread mixture over fish. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake in moderate oven at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until done (do not overcook). Garnish with parsley. Serves 6.

No comments: