Friday, April 29, 2011

Our house

     Have you ever stopped by Apartment therapy?  If not, it may be due to the fact that you've never heard of it.  That's an acceptable reason.  Or it could be that you have heard of it but it's not your thing.  That's also okay. 
    I've both heard of it and it is my "thing".  Mainly because we own a very small house (998 sq feet to be exact) and it has some awesome ideas for decorating small spaces. 
     A little history on "The House."  It was built in 1938 with  an update in the 70's and then what was referred to as "a total remodel" in the early 90's.  Then we came along and swept it off the swelling home market.  It was kinda ugly on the outside (still is) but the right price.  At the time it was perfect for two young kids just starting out.  Sold.
     Cue six years later to the present.  While the house has been great with no structural damage or improvements needing to be patched by the owners (us), at times the limited space and storage seem smothering, especially when we visit other newer, bigger, better, improved homes. 
     As of late, I have had a lot of time to sit at home and really look at it. I have also had a lot of time to look at both home improvement blogs and magazines.  With these visual resources on hand I have come to realize something: our house needs some help.  Right now, it's confused and on the whole a "makeover" waiting to happen.  A "before" waiting for the "after".
     Don't get me wrong.  There are a few rooms I'm pleased with, but only because we recently improved upon them like the bathroom, living room.........maybe our master bedroom.  However, there are so many of them that need to be updated and tweaked and get them to flow with the rest of the house.  Even then, the rooms that I like still aren't 100% decorated and aren't up to par.  Grr.
     Then I pull my head out of the clouds and realize how lucky we are.  At least we still have a house, with some pretty good neighbors nearby and again the house has been easy on us.  We also have a pretty open floor plan.  And you know what?  Maybe it's not the house that's the problem, but the owner's (again...us).
     So I've decided to tackle both my attitude and the house.  First, I'm going to start out by simplifying.  I plan on getting rid of everything (this is going to be DIFFICULT as I'm some what of a hoarder) that is not being used, has not been used or most likely won't be used.  Then I'm going to re-evaluate our space and try to use every single inch to the fullest like many a people do over at Apartment Therapy. 
     Aaron and I have already talked about some of our "ideas" and with a little paint and ingenuity, hope to make them a reality.  Here are some of the possibilities:
  • turning our existing dead-space entry way into a bit of a home library
  • turning the small room that is now the computer room into a walk in closet (yay) for moi
  • making my craft/sewing room that looks like a baby's room into a warm and functional craft room/guest room
  • painting the kitchen a new shade to match the rest of the house
  • and last, but not least actually doing something...anything to the laundry room at the back of the house
     I really want to do these things, it just takes time and money.  No, it's not going to be a quick process.  It will be slow.  One. Step. At. A. Time.  But sometimes just writing it down makes things happen......

No comments: