Sunday, April 17, 2011

When life gives you nothing....substitute

I have good news and bad news.  Which would you prefer first? Well....since this is a one-sided conversation, I just realized that you don't really have a choice (sorry).  Okay, enough with that.  The good news?  I actually cooked today.  The bad news? No pictures to prove that I did.  Oh well, right?
You see, the thing is: I've been missing my "lazy Sundays" lately.  So, I decided this afternoon that at the very least  I would cook lazy-Sunday-breakfast-food for lunch.  That was a mouthful.  Literally.   Don't get too excited....it was only waffles.  But not waffles from a mix.  These were from scratch.  Is there any other way?!?   However, I ran into a little speed-bump.  The recipe called for all purpose flour and I only had whole wheat flour.  Hmm.  It also called for milk.  I only had almond milk. Eh.  I decided to go for it and substitute with what I had.  Oh, one more thing...I forgot I was making waffles and whipped up pancake batter instead.  Any-hoo, Here is the recipe  from the '63 Good Housekeeping Cookbook as follows:

Homemade Pancakes

  • 1 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 tsp double acting baking powder
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/4 cups milk *
  • 3 tbsp melted butter, margarine or oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla or emulsion
  1. Set griddle over low heat to warm up.  Into medium bowl or wide-mouthed pitcher, sift flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
  2. In small bowl, beat egg well; add milk, butter.  Slowly stir into flour mixture, mixing only until dry ingredients are wet.
  3. When griddle is hot enough to make a drop of cold water dance, lightly grease or not as manufacturer directs.  Drop batter from pitcher or large spoon onto griddle, lightly spreading each cake with back of spoon into round about 4" in diameter.  Don't crowd cakes or they will be difficult to turn.  Cooking about 3 cakes at a time is usually safe.
  4. Cook over low heat until rim of each cake is full of broken bubbles and underside is golden brown.  Turn only once.
*for thicker pancakes, use 3/4 cup milk

The rest of the recipe bores me, and I know from the bottom of my heart that you know how to make pancakes and waffles.  If not, let me know and I'll talk you through it.

Also,  I decided to do these waffles with a twist:  back-woods style.  Instead of just serving plain waffles I decided to make mine more of a "breakfast sandwich."  Allow me to explain.  Sometimes I just get bored with eating them with butter or syrup.  So instead, I like to combine mine with and over-easy egg and bacon.  Everything is better with bacon.  It goes a little like this:  waffle on the bottom, over easy egg on top, sprinkle some salt on top, drizzle it with syrup then flop the bacon on the side resulting in one nasty/great concoction.  I don't blame you if you don't want to try it this way, but I love it....sometimes!! 

By they way, the waffles in all of their substitution glory turned out delicious!  I might start making them this way all of the time.

No comments: