Monday, October 10, 2011

An Ode to pumpkin

Oh my sweet pumpkin
how I love thee
I just can not wait
to get you in my belly.
(no one said it would be a good poem now did they?)

I really do love pumpkin and pumpkin flavored anything a whole lot!
It made my day when I heard Pumpkin Spice Lattes were back at Starbucks.  You had better believe I've visited Starbucks several times already!  I even cheered as we drove by Jack in the box and I saw the pumpkin shakes were home at last.
Sad? Or maybe just glad......

So last night I threw out the idea of whipping up some pumpkin bread.
I have cans of pumpkin + we were snacky + it's Fall and I LOVE pumpkin = great idea.

This recipe is super easy and scrumptious -at least I think so.

No good pictures came from this loaf.  I was too focused on eating the bread instead of snapping pics of it....maybe another time?

Here's the recipe if you want to start a food revolution and take a bite out of pumpkin with me!

Pumpkin Bread

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp each of salt, baking soda, and nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp ginger OR cloves
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup shortening
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup walnuts or raisins
Grease bread pan.  Mix all ingredients together except 1 cup of the flour.  Beat for 2 minutes.  Add flour and nuts and/or raisins.  Bake at 350 degree F for 60-65 minutes.  Check the center with a wooden toothpick.
Allow to rest for 10 minutes, then cut into it and devour it with butter slathered on top.
(those are my instructions)

P.S.  As usual I did not have all of the ingredients to this recipe.  Unfortunately I did not become aware of that simple fact until I had already blended everything together.  All that was missing was the eggs.  So, instead of eggs I used 1/4 applesauce per egg needed.  I also substituted canola oil for shortening due to the fact that I try to eat shortening as little as possible. With these changes the bread still came out great.  The only difference is the bread is a bit more dense and moist....but is that a bad thing??



No comments: